|Dr. Yuan F. Zheng|
Professor Yuan F. Zheng received his MS and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical Engineering from The Ohio State University, in Columbus, Ohio in 1980 and 1984, respectively. His undergraduate degree was received at Tsinghua University, Beijing, China in 1970. From 1984 to 1989, he was with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Clemson University, in Clemson, South Carolina. Since August 1989, he has been with The Ohio State University, where he is Winbigler Designated Chair Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Professor Zheng was the Chairman of the Department between 1993 and 2004, and was elected to IEEE Fellow in 1997. Professor Zheng received Presidential Young Investigator Award from President Ronald Reagan in 1986, and Research Awards from the OSU College of Engineering three times. From 2004 to 2008, Professor Zheng served on a part-time basis as Dean of School of Electronic, Information, and Electrical Engineering at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University in Shanghai, China.
Professor Zheng's research interests are on the fundamental issues related to two aspects. One is in video, image, and signal processing based on wavelet transform. Current efforts focus on wavelet for waveform studies, E-V localization, and human object tracking. The other is in robotics with current efforts on humanoid robots, mobile robots, and signals and robots related to biological applications. His research activities have been supported by the National Science Foundation, DoD, Air Force Research Laboratory, and other federal agencies (see recent publications below).
From 1996 to 1999, Professor Zheng served as the
Vice-President for Technical Affairs of the
IEEE Robotics and Automation Society.
Dr. Zheng has been an associate editor or on the Editorial Board of a number of journals including IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation,
Autonomous Robots, International Journal of Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, International Journal of Intelligent Control and Systems,
Journal of Robotic Surgery, International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, Journal of Wavelet Theory and Applications, etc.
Dr. Zheng was the Program Chair of the IEEE International Conference on
Robotics and Automation which was held in Detroit, Michigan in May 1999, and was the Program Chair of
the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation again which was held in Shanghai, China in May 2011. Professor Zheng received
the Distinguished Service Award from the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society in 2004.
Dr. Zheng received the Best Paper or Best Student Paper Awards at International Conferences for a number of times including the Best Paper Award at the 2010 IEEE National Aerospace & Electronics Conference (NAECON2010) for his paper “Wavelet-modulated pulse for compressive sensing in SAR,” (co-authored with graduate students Xu, D. and Tongret, R., and collaborator Ewing, R. of AFRL). Professor Zheng also received the Fred I. Diamond Award for Best Technical Paper Published in a Referred Journal by the Air Force Research Laboratory in 2006, co-authored with his graduate student Eric Balster and Dr. Robert Ewing of the Air Force Research Laboratory.
Professor Zheng has published 300 papers in his fields of interests including two books and 97 referred journal papers.
The following is a list of selected publications in recent years.
· Lin C. and Zheng, Y.F., "Fast browsing of large-scale images using server prefetching and client caching techniques," Proc. of SPIE, Applications of Digital Image Processing XXII, July 20-23, 1999, Denver, Colorado, pp. 376-387.
· Lin, C., Zhang, B, and Zheng, Y.F., "Packed integer wavelet transform constructed by lifting scheme," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 10, No. 8, December 2000, pp. 1,496-1,501. (pdf)
· Qiao, D. and Zheng, Y.F., "Dynamic bit-rate estimation and control for constant-quality communication of video," WCICA'2000, June 28 - 30, 2000, Hefei, China, pp. 2506-2511.
· Smith, K.B. and Zheng, Y.F., "Point laser triangulation probe calibration for coordinate metrology," Trans. of the ASME, J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 122, August, 2000, pp. 582-586. (pdf)
· Dong, J., He, C., and Zheng, Y.F, "AVP: a highly efficient real-time protocol for multimedia communications on Internet," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Information Technology: Coding and Computing, Las Vegas, Nevada, April 2-4, 2001, pp. 280-284. (pdf)
· Balster, E. and Zheng, Y.F., "Real-time video rate control algorithm for a wavelet-based compression algorithm," Proc. IEEE Middlewest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Dayton, Ohio, August 14-17, 2001, pp. 492-496.
· Xu, L. and Zheng, Y.F., "Moving personal robots in real-time using primitive motions," Autonomous Robots, Vol. 10, pp. 175-183, 2001.
· Smith, K.B. and Zheng, Y.F., "Optimal path planning for helical gear profile inspection with point laser triangulation probes," Trans. of the ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 123, February 2001, pp. 90-98. (pdf)
· He, C., Zheng, Y.F., and Ahalt, S., "Object tracking using the Gabor wavelet transform and the golden section algorithm," IEEE Trans. on Multimedia, Vol. 4, No. 4, December, 2002, pp. 528-538. (pdf)
· He, C., Dong, J, Zheng, Y.F., and Gao, Z., "Optimal 3D coefficient tree structure for the 3-D wavelet video coding," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 13, No. 10, October, 2003, pp. 961-972. (pdf)
· Oh, J., Choi Y., Park, J., and Zheng, Y.F., "Complete coverage navigation using of cleaning robots using triangular cell based map," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 51, No. 3, June, 2004, pp. 718-726. (pdf)
· Cherezov, V., Peddi, A., Muthusubramaniam, L., Zheng, Y.F., and Caffrey, M., "A robotic system for crystallizing membrane and soluble protein in lipidic mespphases," Acta Crystallographica, (2004), D60, pp. 1795-1807. (pdf)
· Dong, J., He, C., Zheng, Y.F., "AVP: a highly efficient transport protocol for low bit rate multimedia communications," J. of Multimedia Tools and Applications, 25, pp. 187-216, 2005. (pdf)
· Liu, Yi and Zheng, Y.F., "Video object segmentation and tracking using psi-learning classification," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 15, No. 7, July 2005, pp. 885-899. (pdf)
· Balster, E., Zheng, Y.F and Ewing, R., "Feature-based wavelet shrinkage algorithm for image denoising," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol. 14, No. 12, December 2005, pp. 2024-2039. (pdf)
· Liu, Yi and Zheng, Y.F., "FS_SFS: a novel feature selection method for support vector machines," Pattern Recognition, the technical journal of the Pattern Recognition Society, Vol. 39, Issue 7, July 2006, pp. 1333-1345. (pdf)
· Hang, X., Greenburg, N.L., Zheng, Y.F., and Thomas, J.D., "Compression of 3-D echocardiographic images using a modified 3-D set-partitioning-in-hierarchical-trees algorithm based on a 3-D wavelet packet transform," Journal of Electronic Imaging, 15(2), Apr-Jun, 2006, pp. 023016-1-12. (pdf)
· Dong, J. and Zheng, Y.F., "Content-based retransmission for 3-D wavelet video streaming on the Internet," IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technologies, Vol. 16, No. 9, September 2006, pp. 1125-1133. (pdf)
Like to read interesting books and Sunday newspapers, work on robots and wavelets, and drive on highways.