Nitride Based Tunneling Electronics, Paul R. Berger
Advisor: Paul R. Berger
Dr. Tyler Growden
Ms. Parastou Fakhimi (ECE Ph.D. candidate)
Elliot Brown (Wright State University)
Weidong Zhang (Wright State University)
David Storm (Naval Research Laboratory)
David Meyer (Naval Research Laboratory)
Richard Molnar (MIT Lincoln Laboratory)
Jeffrey Daulton (MIT Lincoln Laboratory)
Patrick J. Fay (University of Notre Dame)
Former Graduate Students:
Tyler Growden (PhD 2016)
Importance of the Problem:
Thin vertical devices using III-nitrides have been met with a myriad of materials science challenges, but mastering this family will open new vistas of novel vertical nitride devices using thin heterobarriers.
Brief Description of Our Work and Results:
AlN/GaN resonant tunneling diodes (RTD) grown on low dislocation density semi-insulating (SI) bulk GaN substrates via
plasma-assisted molecular-beam epitaxy (MBE) are reported. The devices were fabricated using a six mask level,
fully isolated process. Stable room temperature negative differential resistance (NDR) was observed across the entire
sample. The NDR exhibited no hysteresis, background light sensitivity, or degradation of any kind after more than
1000 continuous up-and-down voltage sweeps. The sample exhibited a ~90% yield of operational devices which routinely
displayed an average peak current density of 2.7 kA/cm2 and peak-to-valley current ratio (PVCR) of ~1.15 across different sizes.
Awards and Citations
- ONR Post-Post-MURI "DATE" ($1.5M, 2016-2017).
- ONR Post-MURI "DATE" ($3.7M, 2014-2016).
- ONR MURI "DATE" ($3.8M, 2011-2014).
- "Single Layer Double Barrier Polarization Induced Resonant Tunneling Diode,"
Paul R. Berger and Tyler A. Growden [Disclosure submitted March 11, 2014].
Provisional Filed May 2, 2014 [Application Number 61/987,876].
- "Polarization Induced Nitride Barrier Tunnel Diodes," Paul R. Berger and Tyler A. Growden,
[Disclosure submitted October 10, 2013; Provisional filed July 10, 2014,
Application Number 62/022,876].
Unipolar-Doped, Bipolar-Tunneling Electroluminescence
- "Near-UV Electroluminescence in Unipolar-Doped, Bipolar-Tunneling (UDBT) GaN/AlN Heterostructures,"
Tyler A. Growden, Weidong Zhang, Elliott R. Brown, David F. Storm, David J. Meyer, and Paul R. Berger,
Nature's Light: Science and Applications [accepted September 10, 2017; accepted article preview, 27 October 2017];
vol. 7, e17150 (2018) https://doi.org/10.1038/lsa.2017.150
[, First Unipolar-Doped Bipolar Electroluminesence
- "AlN/GaN/AlN resonant tunneling diodes grown by RF-plasma assisted molecular beam epitaxy on
freestanding GaN," D.F. Storm, T.A. Growden, D.S. Katzer, M.T. Hardy, W. Zhang, E.R. Brown, P.R. Berger,
and D.J. Meyer, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, vol. 35, No. 2 pp.
02B110-1 to 02B110-4,
PDF (1245 kB)
- "Highly repeatable room temperature negative differential resistance in AlN/GaN resonant
tunneling diodes grown by molecular beam epitaxy," Tyler A. Growden, David F. Storm, Weidong Zhang,
Elliott R. Brown, David J. Meyer, Parastou Fakhimi, and Paul R. Berger, Applied Physics Letters,
(Submitted May 5, 2016, Published August 2016).
PDF (1180 kB)
[, First Peer-Reviewed Report of Repeatable NDR in Gallium Nitride
- "Record High Current Density (776 kA/cm2) InGaN/GaN Resonant Tunneling Diodes using
Polarization Induced Barriers Tyler A. Growden, Sriram Krishnamoorthy, Siddharth Rajan, and
Paul R. Berger, 10th International Conference on Nitride Semiconductors, Washington, DC (August 25-30, 2013).
[, Record Current Density in GaN-based Interband Tunnel Diodes
- "Methods for Obtaining High Interband Tunneling Current in III-Nitrides,"
Tyler A. Growden, Sriram Krishnamoorthy, Digbijoy N. Nath, Anisha Ramesh, Siddharth Rajan,
and Paul R. Berger, IEEE DRC Digest, pp. 163-164 (2012).
PDF (649 kB)
Fundamental Tunneling Physics
- "A Nonlinear Circuit Model for Switching Process in Quantum Well Devices," W-D. Zhang, E.R. Brown,
T.A. Growden, P.R. Berger, R. Droopad, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 63,
No. 12, Pages: 4993 - 4997,
PDF (950 kB)
- "Experimental Determination of Quantum-Well Lifetime Effect on Large-Signal Resonant Tunneling
Diode Switching Time," Tyler A. Growden, E. R. Brown, Weidong Zhang, Ravi Droopad, and Paul R. Berger,
Applied Physics Letters, 107, 153506 (2015);
PDF (1162 kB)
[, First Measurement of Quantum Well Lifetime Effect on RTDs
This website uses Adobe AcrobatTM
technology; download free Acrobat products
Netscape Navigator is recommended
for use with this website; download
Last updated November 17, 2017.
Paul R. Berger's Research page
Send suggestions or comments to