1996 OSU Control Workshop
April 13, 1996
- Since 1983 the Control Research Laboratory has sponsored the O.S.U.
Control Workshop. This workshop was an annual event until 1994. Starting
1996 it will be held every other year. It is a two-day gathering of control
groups from universities in Ohio and neighboring states, and from local
industry. It provides an informal exchange of ideas and recent developments
in control research and is particularly geared toward involvement of graduate
students. Recent meetings have typically involved about 80 participants
from various universities including Air Force Institute of Technology, Carnegie
Mellon University, Case Western University, Cleveland State University,
University of Cincinnati, Indiana University, University of Illinois, University
of Michigan, Michigan State University, University of Notre Dame, University
of Pittsburgh, Purdue University, University of Toledo, Virginia Polytechnic
Institute and State University, Washington University, and Wayne State University.
Below, is the preliminary program for the 1996 Workshop.
- 8:25 Welcome: Professor Emeritus Carlin Weimer, The Ohio State University
- 8:30 "Safe Car Driving by Robust Steering Control"
- Jürgen Ackermann, Director, Institute for Robotics and System Dynamics,
DLR, German Aerospace Research Establishment
9:30 Morning Break (Coffee, Tea and Donuts)
Morning Session: Dr. Dan Repperger, Armstrong Laboratory, WPAFB,
- 9:50 "A Control-Oriented Approach to Water Quality Modeling of
Drinking Water Distribution Systems"
- Michael Zierolf, University of Cincinnati
- 10:10 "A Fuzzy Supervisor for Paper Machine Sheet Moisture Content"
- Tim Murphy, ABB and The Ohio State University
- 10:30 "Suppression of Vibration in Helicopter Cabins - A Survey
of Proposed Approaches"
- Rayadurgam Ravikanth, The University of Illinois
- 10:50 "A GPS-based Instrument Landing System"
- Nathan White, Air Force Institute of Technology
- 11:10 "Performance Evaluation of Fault Tolerant Control Systems"
- Kuang-Yang Huang, University of Cincinnati
- 11:30 "The OSU Autonomous Vehicle"
- Martin Sommerville, The Ohio State University
11:50 Lunch and Laboratory Tours (Buffet style lunch, served
Mid-Afternoon Session: Dr. Jeff Donne, Cegelec Automation, Inc.,
- 1:30 "A Sliding Mode Observer and Controller for Stabilization
of Rotational Motion of a Vertical Shaft Magnetic Bearing"
- A. E. Rundell, Purdue University
- 1:50 "Adaptive Fuzzy Control: Experiments and Comparative Analysis"
- Raul Ordonez, The Ohio State University
- 2:10 "Formal Specification of Visual Control Languages"
- Debbie Carter, University of Cincinnati
- 2:30 "Modeling and Simulation of Lateral Web Dynamics"
- Brad Yerashunas, The University of Akron
- 2:50 "Perturbation Analysis of Non-collocated Control Systems"
- Jianguo Wu, University of Cincinnati
- 3:10 "Feedback Control Of Temperature Fields in Arc Welding Process"
- Jin Yang, The Ohio State University
3:30 Afternoon Break (Coffee, Tea and Soft Drinks)
Afternoon Session: Dr. Dave Schoenwald, Oakridge National Laboratory,
- 3:45 "Robust Longitudinal Control of Large Vehicle Platoons"
- Brian Shu, University of Illinois
- 4:05 "Inherent Design Limitations of Periodic Digital Control"
- David S. Ortiz, University of Michigan
- 4:25 "H System Identification Based Robust Control System Design"
- Anju Bahri, University of Cincinnati
- 4:45 "A GPS-based Testbed for Navigation System Evaluation"
- Jason McKay, Air Force Institute of Technology
- 5:05 "Sliding Mode Self-Optimization Control for Combustion Engine
- Chen De-Shiou, The Ohio State University