Complex Oxide Electronics
Impact of Native Point Defects on Multifunctional Materials
A combination of mechanical strain, atomic composition, and defect formation inside perovskite lattices determines state-of-the-art performance
3-Dimensional Probe on a Nanometer Scale
Mechanical Stress ↔ Native Defects ↔ Electric Potential → Dielectric / RF Change
- A. Ohtomo and H.Y.Hwang, Nature 427, 423 (2004).
- S. A. Wolf et al., Science 294, 1488 (2001).
- G. Mumcu, K. Sertel, and J.L. Volakis," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett. 5, 168 (2006).
- M.M. Rutkowski, K.M. McNicholas, Z. Zeng, and L.J. Brillson, "Design of an ultrahigh vacuum transfer mechanism to interconnect an oxide molecular beam epitaxy growth chamber and an x-ray photoemission spectroscopy analysis system," Rev. Sci. Instrum. 84, 065105 (2013). doi: 10.1063/1.4804195
- J. Zhang, J. Chakhalian, M. Kareev, J. Liu, S. Prosandeev, and L.J. Brillson," Depth-Resolved Subsurface Defects in Chemically Etched SrTiO3," Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 092904 (2009). doi:10.1063/1.3093671